Thursday, May 26, 2011

Perfect Moments: The Goal

Today's moment....

I set out on what seemed like an impossible mission with my son today. The odds of us achieving our goal were pretty high, but I was DETERMINED to make it happen. So much so that I told my son that we were not going to give up on our goal until it was reached. With our minds set, we made our first attempt and were shut down immediately. We tried again and, again, were shot down. My son gave me a look that said, "Mom, it's ok, let's try another day", and it was tempting for me to take that as a way out. But, I couldn't do it. I had told him that we were not going home without having met our goal and if I didn't take it seriously on such a simple thing, I feared it would send a message to my son that he might apply to other, grown-up, goals later on. So, what started out as a fun adventure, suddenly became a "teachable moment" about sticking to your guns despite the odds and not losing hope. And so, with our hope, we went and gave it another shot and this time we were successful! After reflecting on what had happened, my son looked up and, with his big smile, said, "We did it, mom! Mission accomplished!" Now, if I told you what the goal was, you might think it was silly or not a big deal, but to my son, it was a big deal, so it doesn't really matter what it was. What does matter is that my son understands that goals should not be given up on even after failed attempts. Also, it made me think about how many other goals I have on MY list that I have yet to apply such unwavering determination to and it made me want to do so immediately, in order that my son might see that his mommy does what she says and will be inspired to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment